Given that the treatment area size is small compared to a house, it is easy to reach high concentrations of ozone quickly inside of a car and thus, easy to eliminate organic odors including cigarette smoke and musty scent. This makes our machines preferred by professional auto detailers who use our machines every day in commercial applications.
Here’s what we recommend: for car treatments use the basic hose accessory to allow the machine to remain outside the vehicle. This helps keep your machine cleaner over the lifespan of the machine as less dirty enters the machine over time. Roll down the window 4”. Place the machine as close to and as level to the window as possible Place the basic hose accessory on the outlet end of the machine then direct the hose into the window. Place a towel over the rest of the open window (it does not have to be 100% airtight). Make sure the carpets and upholstery are completely dry prior to applying the ozone. Keep the glove box, visors, and center console open and exposed to the ozone.
Run your machine so that the ozone blows through the hose and into the window. For average odors it may only take 1-2 hours of treatment to eliminate the odors. For tougher odors it may require 3-6 hours of treatment. For extreme odors, it may require multiple treatments. Keep the air conditioner off during most of the ozone application. This allows the ozone to build up in the car and reach higher concentrations. After allowing the ozone to build up to high levels inside the cabin of the car, you may want to turn on the air conditioner to allow ozone to blow through the vents for a short period. On average you may want to keep the air conditioner off for 75% of the overall treatment and then allow the air conditioner to run for the remaining 25% of the treatment.
Product recommendation: If you are treating your own vehicle and not necessarily concerned with having the ability to treat many cars over time, the Residential Edition MaxBlaster is an ideal choice. If you are a professional auto detailer the PRO Edition MaxBlaster and Basic Hose Accessory is an ideal choice. For specialized treatments that allow you to blow ozone into the upholstery of the vehicle the Target Hose accessory is recommended. Contact us for further advice on the target hose accessory.
Other Notes: It is not mandatory to use the basic hose accessory. Using the basic hose is intended to prolong the life of the plates inside the machine. However, if you run the machine inside the car the short-term odor removal results will be nearly the same with or without the hose. It is not recommended to use the target hose to blow ozone into the window. It is better to use the basic hose because it is wider than the target hose (4” versus 2.5”) and thus allows greater efficiency of ozone entry into the car. The target hose is intended for specialized uses where you aim the ozone directly into the upholstery. For best results, contact us prior to using the target hose.